Friday, March 18, 2011

Thank you! And a Sweet Baby Gift...Part One

Hi friends!  I wanted to start off this post by thanking everyone, from the bottom of my heart , for your kind words regarding my miscarriage post.  Your thoughts and prayers truly helped carry me through some of my darkest days.  I am still dealing with the loss, and I definitely have some hard times, but I am slowly finding my way out of the well of sadness I found myself in when I wrote that post.  Thank you for sharing your stories and for praying for me - I truly appreciate it more than you could ever know!!!  I have some more thoughts to share, but I need to organize them in my head before I type them out.


Today I have a "sweet" idea to share for an inexpensive but oh so adorable baby gift. This is not my original idea, but this is just my take on it. I've seen these all over blogland and on Etsy, and I knew I could make my own! I actually shared a similar project here back in October.  I guess I really like cupcakes!

I did some shopping for a friend who lives in Australia and who is having a baby girl.  She wanted some bedding and decor from Pottery Barn Kids, and PBK doesn't ship to Australia.  The nerve!  As I was packaging up her goodies, I couldn't resist throwing in some sweet little things for her sweet little Annabel.  So, since I took an insane amount of pictures of my little creations, I thought I'd share this idea with my blog friends.  I am not doing a full tutorial, since this is pretty self explanatory, but I'll tell you quickly how I did this.

You will need:

  • Onesies/socks/burpcloths/bibs - whatever you choose. For this example, I used a onesie and a bib.
  • Cupcake liner
  • Cupcake box with insert (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby)
  • Hair clippie (or other item for topper - more ideas below)

What you will do:

Simply roll up the onesie (or whatever the larger item is you chose from the list above), and then roll up the bib around the onesie. You might need to adjust this a little bit, until it looks like a cupcake! I've seen these with all sorts of things in them - little socks sticking up out of the middle, washcloths, bibs, shirts, etc. The key is to get something that is not too bulky, otherwise it won't fit in your cupcake liner.  Once you have a shape you like, put a rubber band around your cupcake so it will stay together.  I recommend the little clear ones that are typically used for little girls' hair, but I didn't have any of those (actually, we probably own 10,000 of those, but I couldn't find any - big surprise!) so I had to use a regular old rubberband - I just hid it well (see how the bib edge is sort of folded over below?).

Next, you will need to add a cute little topper. For mine, I chose a little clip I made, and I just clipped it on to the onesie. I have seen little hair bows, even fake cherries and strawberries on these. Use your imagination for this part.



Finally, place your little cupcake in its liner, and then in the box - how easy was that?!?!? This is definitely a stand out gift at any baby shower - you are sure to get lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" over this little cutie.


Tomorrow, I'll be sharing what else was in my package sent to my friend in Australia - here's a hint - it involves Mod Podge and Easter chicks - interesting, no?

Sharing at some great link parties:

MakingPhotobucketUndertheTableandDreaming 
Visit thecsiproject.com


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sew Can Do said...

Really cute - will have to try this next time I need to do a little gift!

Ginna said...

Cute! I love fun shower gift ideas!

Visiting from Making the World Cuter!

Come see us at www.juiceboxdreams.com

Lolly Jane said...

super cute! i always loved seeing those too but haven't seen a tute on it- thank you! the box really polishes it off :) thanks for linking w/ us! happy monday1!

At Home With Michelle said...

I love this idea, thanks so much for sharing...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...