Thursday, September 30, 2010

Halloween Trick or Treat Wreath

It's me again!  With more Halloween!  I know ya'll think I'm crazy, and I'd be inclined to agree with you.  However, I can't resist sharing this cute wreath I just made.  After I drug Carter to Hobby Lobby to get the wreath form (around $3.50), I had this thing made in less than an hour during naptime.  It was that easy!  I'm not going to do a full tutorial since I didn't take "in progress" pictures, but I'll tell you really quickly what I did.


First, you are going to need the mesh stuff - it is called "Poly Deco Mesh" and is hard to find for me locally (Hobby Lobby carries some in Christmas colors, but it is very limited).  I ordered mine online from http://www.mardigrasoutlet.com/.  It's around $10 a roll, so it's kind of expensive.  I have some of the roll left, but I'm not sure if I have enough to make another wreath - I'm hoping I do.  You will also need wire or ribbon to attach the mesh, a wreath form, and any embellishments you wish to add.  I found the sparkly Trick or Treat sign at the Dollar Tree, and I made the ghost (more on him later).  The wreath form I bought was wire, but in hindsight I think I would have bought a grapevine wreath and spraypainted it black.  The mesh doesn't do a very good job of hiding the wreath form, so I had to first wrap my metal form with black tulle.   Next, I started adding strips of the mesh.  It is very forgiving, so just put it on there how you like it.  I tied my pieces on with black tulle, but you could use ribbon or wire.  Once I had my mesh on, I just hung the little sign in the middle by tying it underneath the back of the wreath, and then added my little ghost (wiring him on).  I made him using a white styrofoam ball (side note - WHY is styrofoam so expensive!?!?!?) and some cheesecloth - I just tied some purple tulle around his neck.  I hot glued some buttons on for eyes, and he was done!  I won't tell you how long I was messing with him to make him look like an actual ghost, because it's an embarassing amount of time.  Suffice it to say - I have issues.




Once he was attached, I was done!  I would have liked to have added maybe a few more little embellishments, but with the mesh being so "busy" I didn't want to get too out of control.



If you make a wreath, I would LOVE to see a picture of it!

Sharing at:

Visit thecsiproject.com



Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


Entertain Exchange

15 comments:

Erika said...

So cute! Love the colors...

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

The colors are great and this wreath is terrific. Good Job!

Erica said...

Hopping over from Weekend Wrap up! I just bought that Trick or Treat sign yesterday! Cute idea :) Would love it if you stop by and entered my giveaway!
http://bigsislilsislove.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Adorable! Love the snack too...I am the same way...nothing is simple, I cannot ever leave well enough alone. But ya know...its the little things and kids WILL remember! Happy weekend.

Jen said...

What a darling blog - thanks for coming over to mine and leaving a nice comment. I love your Halloween Wreath too - too bad I don't have two front doors - right! p.s. i asked the hubby if he would paint my door black tomorrow and he said Yes! Hooray!!! Have a great weekend!!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

I love this wreath - nice job! :) M*

Unknown said...

love the mesh! I've never seen anything like this and I can't get enough of the texture! The plaid and the sparkle are awesome!

Kelly said...

this is so cute! I really want to try this, I'll have to see if Joanne's has it! thanks for sharing!

marissa with hadley lane said...

I absolutely love this. It is just beautiful!!! Love the colors...the sign...and the ghost :)

(Saw your link at Show and Tell Saturday)

Allie said...

Very cute! I want one!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie party.
Alliemakes.blogspot.com

Princess Danell said...

Fantastic idea. I have a ton of that poly dec stuff in gold. Maybe I'll try one for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Oh, and I am totally behind you on the styrofoam. What, is it made of platinum?

Lynn @ Honey Darlins Corner said...

I LOOOOOOOOOVE your wreath! I'm not real clear on how you made it puffy and tied it down:( I'm so happy I found your blog!!!

Corrie said...

Thanks for sharing a link to Mardi Gras Outlet in this great post! I am a bit addicted to crafting with this mesh product! We have a video tutorial on our blog for a similar style mesh wreath. I am going to share your precious Halloween wreath with my readers!

Unknown said...

This is soooo cute Heather! As matter of fact I love every bit of your blog! Thanks for being an inspiration!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

your photo has been stolen and is for "sale" here
http://www.glitzychickboutique.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3251965 :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...