Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chasing dreams {and being a proud Mom}


{beautiful photo courtesy of my brother's super talented girlfriend, Skylar Reeves}

I am often afraid to try things, for fear that I won't do well at them. Case in point - my sewing machine, which is still in the box from my birthday in December. I often let my fear of failure stop me from doing what I want to do. I could learn alot from my older daughter Lindsey. Lindsey is not afraid to chase her dreams. Two years ago, she decided that she wanted to try out for the performing company at her dance studio.  When she told me that, my heart sank.  She had never been asked to be in any of the special groups there (they often identify girls that they see as having potential, and ask them to be in the company) and I was worried that she would not be selected.  I didn't want other people to judge my "baby" - she was only 9!  I didn't want her to devastated if she didn't make it.  I put on a brave face, and was encouraging to her, but inside I was a nervous wreck for the entire week of tryouts.  I practiced what I would say to her if she didn't make it - "there's always next year," or "you tried your best."  And try her best she did - she practiced again and again, staying out in the garage for hours at a time.  I was amazed at her dedication.  The day the results were posted, I was almost literally physically ill from worry.  Lindsey was at school that day, so it was just me checking the website.  When the results finally went up, I saw her number!  Number 11, I will never forget it.  She had made the company she tried out for.  I have never seen her so happy, and I have never been so proud.

This year, tryouts are coming up again, and Lindsey has decided to try out for the top level performing company.  This is a big step up from where she is now, and those nagging worries have started for me again.  Lindsey, however, is showing her strength and confidence once again.  She has set her mind to do this, and I know that even if she doesn't make it, she will be proud knowing that she wasn't afraid to try.

I am so lucky to have this little girl as my daughter.  I thought I was supposed to be the one teaching her about life, but it turns out she's taught me more than I could ever imagine.

I love you, Lindsey!!!  You are my shining star, and make me a better person every day.

***************************************************************************

PS -

Dear Hubby:

I simply "need" this for Mother's Day!  I am entering in a giveaway to win it over at Traci's blog, Beneath My Heart, but if I don't win......here you go! 










2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi, Heather! LOVE this post!!!! So beautiful. And I'll be thinking about Lindsey this week!

Don't know if you saw my comment after one of yours on a post (sorry, for the life of me I can't remember which one!). I didn't like how the first bday hat turned out (fabrics) so I started from scratch. This one I like ;) Would you like to have her age or her initial on it?

Thanks!!
Jessica

Genevieve Richer said...

AWESOME post! Your PS made me LOL cuz I did the same thing on my blog!!! HeeHee!
http://genevieve-celebratetoday.blogspot.com/search/label/Fabulous%20Finds

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...